Monday, July 16, 2012

Week 5 already‏

Well, as you can see from the subject line, it is already week 5 of this transfer. Next week is Board Week, and then the next is transfers. This past month has flown by so fast I can barely even believe it.
This week flew by too, and it was a really good week. It started on Monday night, we had an appointment with a lady named Cherrie (not really, but you should know that by now) and it was really good. Cherrie has been investigating the church on and off for over a year now. In fact, she has a son serving a mission in South Africa right now. The only thing that is really holding her back is that she is not married, but living with her fiancé. But during our lesson on Monday, she told us that they are finally getting married in three weeks! Right after she told us that, we set a baptismal date for August 20th. But we'll have to reset it for another day because that's a Monday, and we're not supposed to do baptisms on Mondays because of FHE (we kind of pulled a day out of thin air) so we're going to see if she can do it on the 18th. It is going to be great. We took our High Priest Group Leader and his wife to the lesson, and they connected really well. The HPGL has a son on a mission two, so the women loved talking to each other about it. After the lesson, I had a realization. I said the words "August 18th" and I realized, hey that's my Dad's birthday. Which led me to think "Hey, that's 6 months away from my birthday," which then led to "wait.... that means 6 months from then I'll be done..."
Not my favorite thought in the world. It's a good thought, I am excited to get to see everyone again then, and to be home and move forward with the next stage of life, but still... that's weird. I just hope I cannot be trunkie when it gets close. (by the way mom, thanks for saying "cya soon" at the end of your last letter, it made me laugh because I'm pretty sure you are trunkier than me .)
Anyway, that was our Monday, a great lesson with a perfect member to be with us. Then on Tuesday, we had two appointments that night. The first one was with some more investigators that have been investigating for a long time, and we had a really good lesson with a really good member there, and then he dropped us off at another member’s house so we could go with them to our next appointment with Gus. So we had 2 member exchanges that night. Both of them were perfect for the lessons too. By the end of that lesson, Gus's attitude about quitting smoking went from "I'll quit when I want" to "I know I need to quit" and then in the closing prayer, he asked god to help him quit. It was awesome. He went in for surgery this weekend, so he's down and out for a little while, but He's doing great other than that.
On Wednesday we had another great lesson with Gus, he wanted us to come by every day last week before his surgery, so we did. Each time we took different members with us, which he loves. After that lesson we went to a part-member family's house, and read from the Book of Mormon with them, because the Husband, who is not a member and I will call him Barney, doesn't really understand the language, so we are helping him understand it.
On Thursday we took a priest out with us to knock some doors after seeing Gus. We ran in to a couple of his friends, and the one kid, who's Jaden's age, knew a lot of anti. It was really sad. He was asking us questions that I haven't heard since a guy in denton had a sheet of anti questions to ask. It was sad, because he'll probably never find the truth because he's being blinded by the craftiness of the devil. And it didn't help that he was a cocky jock and thought he was all that. But it was alright.
Friday was a good full day of work, we did a lot of contacting, but without much success
Saturday was the Peach Festival; apparently Weatherford is famous for its Peaches. We didn't go in to the festival because it was 5 bucks, but we walked around the streets outside of it and contacted people. It was fun.
Yesterday at Church was great. There were great speakers in both sacrament meetings, and there was a really good spirit there. We had Linger Longer in both wards we cover, so we got plenty of good food to eat after church, so that was a bonus.

I've been learning a lot in my studies. And it is interesting as I learn more, it always goes back to the same principles. Even when it repeats the same things, it helps me understand it better. A big thing that has been sticking out to me more lately has been about becoming clean. Preach My Gospel tells us that God will not make us clean against our will. This intrigued me. The one thing God has given us that we own is our will.  How we use our will determines how clean or unclean we are. God will not force us to be clean, because he will not force us to repent. He will not force our will that is one thing God cannot do. So he allows us to learn correct principles, if we choose to, and then makes us clean if we will it. And in order to will it, we must do something about it. If we don't do something about it, we obviously aren't using our will to show God we would like to be clean, and therefore, he does not make us clean. Hymn 240 says "Know this that every soul is free to choose his life and what he'll be; for this eternal truth is given: That God will force no man to heaven." God will not take us to heaven against our will. In the same way, when by our actions (aka, the use of our agency, or our will) we drive God out; he is a gentleman and leaves. This is true on a personal scale, as well as on a widespread scale. So each of us needs to take a look at ourselves and ask "Is it my will to be made clean? What am I doing to show God that I would like to be, and to ask God to make me clean? Am I partaking of the sacrament each week? Am I worthy to partake of the sacrament? Am I even trying at all?" Some of you are not. Some of you think you are, or try to convince yourself that you, but you are not. This is important. If it wasn't, I wouldn't bring it up. I know people don't like being told that they are doings something wrong, because they already know it. They just don't want people to point it out. But this is just too important to not point out. I am not afraid of offending anyone, because of how important this is, because if I am not bold, I can't stand before God and say I did all I could to help those I love. So here it goes. It is time for repentance. Obviously this is going to a wide variety of people, who are all in a variety of situations, so I am being general. Ask yourself these questions, and repent as necessary.
Do you always remember Christ? Do you remember his mercy and long-suffering to you? Do you remember when he blessed you before? Are you still receiving all the blessings?
Do you listen to, and obey the words of the prophets, living and dead? Ancient and Modern?
Have you spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your heart?
Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who created you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith, and view yourself raised in immortality, and incorruption, to stand before God to be judged according to the deeds which have been done in this life?
Can you imagine to yourself that you will hear the voice of the Lord say "Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?" Or do you imagine to yourself that ye can lie to the Lord in that day and say "Lord, my works have been righteous works," And that he will save you? Or can you imagine yourself brought before the judgment bar of God with your soul filled with guilt, remembering all your guilt remembering all of your wickedness and that you have defied the commandments of God?
Can you look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? Can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?
Can you think of being saved when you have yielded to become a subject to the devil? How will you feel, if you stand before the bar of God, and you are stained with blood and all manner of filthiness?
Do you think that someone like that can have a place to sit down in the kingdom of God, with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob, and also all the holy prophets, who are cleansed and are spotless and pure?
Have you made baptismal covenants? Do you keep them? Do you take the sacrament? Do you fulfill your duties to God and to your family?
Are you doing what it takes?
What emotions are you feeling right now? Feel free to reply and tell me.


I love y'all. I hope you have a good week, and remember - Repent :)


--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment