Monday, January 21, 2013

Crunch Time


This week has been awesome. Especially compared to the emotion of last week, this one has been much better.
It's not very often, especially in Texas, that you have someone tell you that they want to join the LDS church the first time they meet you. But this week it happened to us.

Twice.

The first one was almost expected. When we got to go teach the lady I told you about last week, who lost her grandson, she was on fire. I'll call her "Shawnie". She has been reading the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants a lot. And she is having very meaningful experiences with them each day. It is incredible to see someone who so sincerely wants to learn from what she's reading, and as she has that sincerity it all speaks to her. I love it. She's just working on quitting smoking, and she'll do it. She's got a lot of will power and she has the resources. She's scheduled to be baptized the last weekend I'm here.

The second one was completely and utterly a shocker. We had an appointment with another family that is close to the family that lost the 8 yr old daughter. They had some questions about the Plan of Salvation (they are less-active and a part-member family). The one with most of the questions is the 16 yr old daughter, and we were able to help her understand quite a bit of it better. The mom, who I will call "Ginny", has a sister-in-law that has moved in with them for a short time. I will call her "Sarah." Sarah proceeded to tell us that her husband is Mormon (but less-active), but she is baptist. They have been having the religion division in their house for their whole marriage, and she is sick of it. She finally told him that she is going to raise their daughter baptist, and he finally put his foot down and said she can't do that because he wants to be sealed in the temple eventually. When they had that discussion she decided it was time to sincerely investigate the church because he was finally being immovable. She asked us "what do I need to do to be baptized?" So we told her the most important thing is getting a testimony of the Book of Mormon, so she is going to read it and pray about it. We went by the next night and taught her lesson 1 so she would know what it's all about. She felt the spirit in the first vision, which is always a good indicator as to their sincerity.



One more awesome thing that happened this week. The "Nielsens" are still having a hard time, and "Sister Nielsen" has been stressed beyond anything she expected. She told us how hurt she is because she feels like this is what she is supposed to be doing, but everything is going against her. She told us that she has stopped studying and praying as much, and we pointed out that she hasn't been to church since the new year (not that it is her fault on that one, circumstances were beyond her control). But we promised that if she would come to church things would get better. Our exchange offered a blessing of comfort and counsel and she accepted. The next day at church, she was beaming. During sunday school she wrote a note to Elder Parker and I that said "THIS is what has been missing. Church is a must!" When we went over last night after church you could see and feel such a significant difference in her and in their home, I can't even describe it. It was a powerful experience for all of us. She pointed out that the three blessings she has received have been very powerful for her (two for sickness one for comfort). And she has had a powerful experience with fasting, and saturday night she had an incredible experience with prayer. I am grateful to be able to see this happen in someone's life. And while we were teaching her she stopped us and said "I just had a thought. I think we (she and her family) need to pray specifically for help understanding the scriptures before we study together." We then explained that she just received personal revelation, and an answer to her prayers. The spirit was strong. She has such a powerful conversion in such a short time, I can't put into words how I feel about it all. I love this work.

I am so grateful to be here at this time. I am grateful to Father in Heaven for putting me in Granbury for my last 2 transfers. 1 month from today, I fly to Utah. I am excited to go home, and even more excited to see my family. At the same time, I am going to miss this home. I am going to miss my family here. I am so grateful to the Lord for these experiences.

I love y'all. The Church is true! God is in charge of this work, as it is His work. I know it.

--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment