Monday, November 5, 2012

A different type of email

This email is going to be different. I don't feel like there were any real stories to tell or updates to give. I am doing well, my companion is awesome, and we are working our tails off. I love being a missionary. But because I don't feel like there's much to tell y'all about with things that are happening, I'm just going to talk about... I don't know what. This is being fed by the things I see around me in Texas, in the world, in people I know and care about, and in complete strangers. But I feel like it will apply to everyone in some way.
We'll see where this all goes.

In this life we face many different situations. Many situations that bring us happiness, and also that bring us sorrow. Situations that bring us stress, and some that bring relief. Some that bring us health, sickness, prosperity, poverty, pleasure, pain, and a multitude of other opposites. Why? Why do we have to face so much opposition?
Many times we have situations in life that are difficult to handle. We don't know what to do, what to say, what to think, or what to feel. We get so caught up in the moment of stress that we just want to freak out, lash out, or shut down. We draw ourselves away from those who love us most, and many times we lead ourselves into darkness, and out of light. The worst part is, we may not even realize it. We still go through our days, minute by minute, until it's been weeks, and then months, and then years have gone by and we don't even realize that we've not been walking in the light. And it is simply because we have desensitized ourselves. It starts with little things. Usually contention of some sort. It leads to anger, fear, and hurt. Communication stops. Without communication, not only can a relationship not grow and become stronger, but it shrinks, becomes weaker, and eventually switches to an opposition, as opposed to cooperation. And the problem is, we are always sure we are right. But the truth of it all, is that we are all unclean, and we all have need to repent. That is the solution to every problem in this world. Repentance. Humbling ourselves enough to submit to the Lord's will, and to stop doing things that are wrong, and start doing things that are right. We all have weaknesses, they come in a variety of ways. But we cannot overcome them alone. If we pull away from those who love us most, we will fall. We learn a lot from the Fall of Adam and Eve, because it is a type and shadow of our personal falls. We all die spiritually, (meaning removing ourselves from God's presence) and we all must repent in order to walk in the light.
This applies not only to our worldly interactions, but our relationship with God. So ask yourself, "How is my relationship with God?" And then ask yourself again, "How is my relationship with God?" and this time be even more honest with yourself. Kneel down and ask God how your relationship is. This is not meant to form some sort of guilt or shame, because that's not my job, but that is the job of the Holy Ghost, so if it happens, ask God why, not me. And be humble enough to learn.
Not apply it again to the interactions with other mortals. Ask about your relationship with your family. Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Sisters. As we live more righteously every aspect of our lives is positively influenced. every aspect. Not a couple, not one or two. All of them.
I don't know why I wrote about this. I don't want to sound preachy, but sometimes we have to. Like Elder Holland said in Conference a year ago, "This is a life-and-death contest we are in, so I am going to get in your face a little, nose to nose, with just enough fire in my voice to singe your eyebrows a little-the way coaches do when the game is close and victory means everything."
Not that I am anything compared to Elder Holland, but I do know at least one thing. This is the Lord's work. Victory means everything. To quote him again, this time from last month, (he is giving a non-scriptural elaboration as to what the Savior may have said to Peter on the shore of the sea)"What I need, Peter, are disciples-and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world."
 Now how does it apply to us as Saints? Well, it has a huge impact on those around us. Not only in sharing the gospel and trying to be a member missionary, but in a more natural way than that. In April 2001 Elder Holland shared a short experience"A young returned missionary sister from Hong Kong told me recently that when she and her companion asked an investigator if she believed in God, the woman replied, "I didn't until I met a member of your church and observed how she lived." What exemplary missionary work! Asking every member to be a missionary is not nearly as crucial as asking every member to be a member! Thank you for living the gospel."
 (Can you guess which apostle's talks I listen to the most?)
We need to live the gospel. Period. That is the only way to get out of this Hell we are in now, as individuals, as communities, as families, as a nation. Some of us are in it worse than others. And some of us are deluded to think we're not at all. Living the gospel will do more to help us and those around us than anything else we can do. Keep the commandments. Have Faith. Repent. Make and Keep covenants. Always remember Christ. It really is pretty simple.
Again, sorry if this came across as preachy. But take it how you will. It's all true.
I love y'all! Have a good week!--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment