Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brought to you, Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue‏

Isn't freedom just awesome? I mean, if it weren't for freedom, we wouldn't be able to practice this wonderful (and true) religion, and I wouldn't be able to be out here in the 100+ degree weather every day spreading that same true gospel. Freedom is a bi-product of the first law of Heaven, which is obedience. The more obedient we are, the more we are truly free.

The 4th of July was awesome here. I mean, it was on a p-day so it really wasn't any different than any other p-day. But we did go to the Silva's for a barbeque for lunch, and then to the Gonzales's for a barbeque for dinner. So I guess it really was different than most p-days.
In Alma 46:12-13 we read about Moroni rending his coat, and making the Title of Liberty. Today, we have our own title of liberty, the American Flag. and just like Hymn 5 says, "Ye nations now look up it waves to all the world".

Well, this we I really slacked on my journal writing, so I don't really have much detail to give everyone, because I don't really remember a lot of it. sorry about that. But I'll do the best I can from my planner.

On Tuesday we met this lady, Beverly, that was very apprehensive at first. She told us that everyone who goes around telling people about God is just trying to confuse people so they lose their opinions and freedom. We talked to her a little bit about the Book of Mormon, and the promise that comes with it (found in the introduction and Moroni 10:3-5) That if you read it, and pray about it with a sincere heart, real intent, and faith in Christ, you will receive an answer by the power of the Holy Ghost. After we told her that we didn't want to force anything on her, but rather invite her to learn about it and then ask God if it's true. Because God will not lie. After we explained that to her, as well as gave her some background as to what the Book of Mormon is and why it is important, she accepted a copy and told us that she would read and pray about it, and that we could come by later (this coming Saturday) when she gets back into town. That night we had this awesome dinner with the Saxton Family. Sister Saxton made this cajun dish, I don't know how to spell it but it was pronounced "Ay-too-fay". It had rice, shrimp, and crawfish in it. It was dang good.

Wednesday we had a great district meeting about teaching people by the spirit and about following up on commitments. we had a couple good lessons that night with Aaron and with the Lopezs.

Thursday we did some tracting and got a couple potential investigators out of it. and then as we were waiting for our ride to dinner to get there this older guy, vincent, walked by with a brown paper bag (with a bud light in it) and a grocery bag full of cigarettes and stuff. He walked past us, but after 2 or 3 steps he stopped and came back to us and asked if we were from a church. After we said yes he told us that his life sucks, being an alcoholic, smoker, and addicted to illegal drugs and he wants to change. He told us that he grew up in the catholic church, but based on their works he doesn't feel like they are the true church. We taught him the Restoration and gave him a Book of Mormon. We promised that if he read the book of Mormon and applied it to his life he would change for the better. He was very excited to get it and we got a return appointment with him. He has a real desire to change, but lacks the resources, so I'm excited to help provide those resources and help from the spirit.
Friday morning Elder Clement (the 3rd ward guy with no companion that has been with the ZLs) joined us because the ZLs had a meeting up north today. we tracted a bit and got 2 new investigators. After we finished that and lunch, we decided to ride our bikes to Killeen 3rd ward, because it hasn't gotten much work since one of the elders was ET'd (emergency transferred, and nobody knows the details of why he was, so that sucks. He may have gone home even, I do not know and neither do the ZLs, but it's not really any of our business) So we rode our bikes to the 3rd ward. In order to get to the third ward we had to ride through the 1st ward. And the wards here are bigger geographically than the stakes in Utah, so it took a while. plus elder Warburton got another flat on the way there. Luckily we had patches and a pump so it was alright. Anyway, we tracted in K3 for a while, then we had to haul back to K2 to get to our dinner appointment. we did roughly 27 miles, but unlike last time we did that much this was mostly in 2 really big chunks, so we were hurting. That night we did an exchange and I went with the ZLs and Warburton and Clement went to K3 to work it all of Saturday.

Saturday was fun with the ZLs, I learned a lot about the Atonement, and about receiving personal revelation. After dinner we switched back and WB and I headed to Aaron's. And I got a flat on the way. So we had to call and cancel with them so that We could go home and fix it, which took forever. (I never did actually get it working again, so I bought a new tube on Monday). But that ended that Night.
Sunday was great. Fasting is wonderful as a missionary because you are less thirsty and hungry while you're out working than you normally are. Except by the time you get to dinner you are about ready to pass out.

So I already told you about Monday. We didn't get to watch fireworks because they went off after our curfew. We got to see the beginning from a distance as we were riding home from our appointment with Aaron.
Anyway, that's my week. It turns out using my planner was pretty effective in remembering what went on.
Read Alma 7 to know what the atonement does for us, then 2 Nephi 31  2to know what we need to do to fully use the atonement.

"Oh Lord my God when I in
Awesome wonder about that man on the cross
And Everything that I must have put him through
And everything that I still do.
Which drop of blood Did I make him shed?
Did I put the thorns onto his head?
I try to do what the savior said,
But I slip on the path that he led.
And I'm wondering...."
"And just when I think these prayers are in vain,
I feel a power in my head that relieves my pain,
So please let these words get past your brain,
Stop wondering, Stop Wondering."

-Wondering by Sean McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment