Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Can Go The Distance‏

***Warning: The following email contains several movie and song references ***

Howdy Y'all.
Another great week has gone by in Denton. It has been one with a lot of the normal missionary stuff, and with not really anything exciting or crazy to tell. We are trying to find new investigators, as always, and it seems like whenever we find someone that seems to have potential, they fall off the map over the next couple days. But that's just life isn't it. Life as a missionary anyway. We work hard and have a lot of fun though. I have never been so tired in my life. It used to be that I go to bed exhausted and wake up tired, but now I wake up still exhausted. This is literally the hardest thing I have done in my life. Constantly moving, doing this and that, helping these people do this, teaching this one, than that one. Going here, going there, delivering this, calling them, texting this person, talking to these missionaries, delegating, passing on information, working, finding, teaching, working, running, biking, swimming (ha, yeah right), studying, praying, leading, guiding, walk besiding, helping people find their way. It is exhausting, and I love it. I have never been so tired, and I have never been so happy. It's a different happy than I have experienced. And the sadness I feel at times is different than what I have before as well. I have not been homesick; I have not been trunkie, just tired. Last night I had a dream I was home, but it all felt unfamiliar, the house was not right, things were off. But the family was there. Mom, dad, grandparents, my siblings, my aunts and uncles. We just talked. I had just gotten home from my mission and everyone was there to welcome me back. Matt and Stacie got there and Lily came in and gave me a big hug and I just held her for a long time. Everything felt so real. I felt completely different, like I had grown, like I was bigger, better, faster, stronger, I had a stronger testimony, better knowledge of the gospel. Everything just felt right. I was in shock that 2 years had gone by so fast, but relieved to be home again. Then the alarm went off, everything disappeared, I was laying in my bed and for a moment in consciousness the feelings were the same, and then, I realized I was still here, I am still a missionary, I still have 13 months to go. For the first time since the MTC I felt the pain of homesickness. But it lasted only a moment, as I my mind caught up and I came to my senses. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He has chosen me to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life. I will find my way, I can go the distance. I'll be there someday if I can be strong. I'll make every mile worth my while. I will go most anywhere, so that everyone can belong in the kingdom of heaven. That, my friends, is why I am here. I have 13 months to do as much as I can to help bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of god's children here in Texas. I have nothing to complain about, I have a bed, I have a truck, I have AC when it's hot and a heater when it's cold. I have good food, a refrigerator, a microwave, a shower, a mailbox. So what if I am tired? So what if I miss my family and friends? It does not matter, because this message is true. This is God's church. This is God's priesthood. This is God's plan. THIS. IS. SPARTA!!! (sorry, i couldn't help it). This is the message God wants all of his children to hear. He is the master of the house. It's not a question of who has the best pastor, or who has the most members, or who has the nicest building. It is a question of does Christ himself lead the church or not. There are only 2 churches, Christ's church is one. The other is anything that pulls you away from Christ's church. Whether that be another religion, a car, a video game, a rock band, a pastor, cell phones, ipods, ipads, girls, boys, food, money, sleep, music, instruments, school, books, literally anything. They are all highways to hell, not stairways to heaven. Especially other actual churches, those who imitate God's church, and those who don't. They have a form of godliness, but deny the power of the scriptures. They draw near to Christ with their lips, but their hearts are far from him. They are too busy passing the collection plate 3 times an hour, then the fourth, the fifth (the minor fall and the major lift) to pay for the pastors Lexus and house, and to fund the rock n roll band on stage. There's a problem there. It makes me vomit. It's the scum between my toes. Christ's church is Black and White. You are in it or not. If you're not first, you’re last. Numbers 12:6 says God will appear to a prophet to call him. That is just one evidence of the true church. Ok, I have ranted about that enough now.
We had an awesome P-day yesterday. We played ping-pong, pool, football, and foosball. And we hung out and talked and jammed and stuff. There were several companionships there, so it was a lot of fun. Today we had district meetings, which were great. 2/3 of the districts in our zone do it at one building on Tuesday, and then the 3rd does it on Wednesday at a different building, that way we can attend all of them and report on them. We had a great training on how to work with members today. Everyone needs to be a missionary; it is your duty to share the gospel, so does it. Bear testimony when given a chance. Make the chance if you have too. Invite people to learn. The best investigators are found by the members, not the full-time missionaries. And, everyone who is in the position to serve a full time mission, or to prepare to, needs to do it now. There's nothing to be afraid of. Nothing's gonna harm you, not while Christ’s around. I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world. Anyway, after DM we went to China King Buffet for lunch, it was actually a pretty good buffet. I ate a baby octopus. It was spicy and tasted like the smell at aquariums, and it was very chewy. I figured I should try it once.
Well, that's about it for me. We are going to get out and find people to teach and baptize so they can have everlasting life.
Ofa Atu!

*bonus points to anyone who can tell me everything I referenced.
--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment