Monday, February 27, 2012

Hablo puqito espanol.... Yo quiero dos tacos por favor. (and i don't know how to spell either.)‏

Well, this week I was another good one. The first big thing that happened was on Tuesday we went on exchanges with one of the district Leaders, Elder Soto, who is the DL over the Spanish missionaries in the zone. I went to work in their area with his companion Elder Hansen, and we did Spanish work. It was fun. Sometimes I found myself just smiling, laughing as I picked up a word or two, but luckily most of the people spoke a little English anyway, so they avoided Spanish. It was funny; we walked up to one house of an investigator he wanted to stop by. He told me he had no idea if they spoke any English at all, because all he had heard them speak was Spanish and it was thick and really fast. The kids were outside so he asked, in his still new Spanish, (he's been out for only 4 months) if their parents were home. The kids replied "no, they're not home right now, they'll be back tomorrow" in perfect English with no accent. It was hilarious.
After a day of Spanish work, it was good to be back in my area. We spent a lot of time out in the country part of our area. It was a good day.
I want to tell y'all a cool story. 
I read in Preach My Gospel that we should be using all the resources we have available, and so I set a goal to use one I never have before. I decided I was going to give out a Proclamation to the World. One day, about 2 weeks ago, Elder Fibke and I had everything fall through at night. So we told our exchange they could drop us off early, and then we went to a gas station to contact, and use the restroom. While I was in the restroom he talked to a police officer that had just gotten off work and was getting something in this 7-11. I got out and we went outside to wait for this man. He came out and we talked for just a second longer. He told us that he and his family had just been hurt and offended by the church they belonged to and were not ready to go back to religion soon, but that he had seen The Other Side of Heaven on TV a couple nights before and it really touched him and peaked his interest. So when we came and started talking to him he was more open than he even expected. We talked for just a minute, and then he went to get in his minivan where his family was waiting. I asked him if I could give him something, and I pulled out the Proclamation to the World I had planned to give out, and I wrote our number on the back. He took it and left. We began praying for him that night.
Jump ahead another week. It is Wednesday night and we are waiting for our exchange, which is also our dinner appointment, to pick us up. He is a half hour late. But we just get in and go when he gets there. He always takes the missionaries to New York Subs (which is amazing by the way, and cheaper than subway). We get there and get our food and sit down. There is only one other group in the restaurant. I hear the man tell his kids "don't stare" so I know they are looking at us. I steal a glance and low and behold, the police officer is there with his wife and girls. We continue eating and after they finish to get up and leave, Elder Fibke gets up to talk with them, but I stayed behind to keep our exchange company (and it may have been to keep him from getting up and ruining the situation, but that's not an important detail). Elder Fibke comes back just grinning. The man told him that a couple days after we had talked to him at the 7-11 he was in the doctor's office and a couple started talking to him, and they gave him a Book of Mormon. And then when he saw us in NYsubs, he said he knew it couldn't be coincidence. (I personally believe that that is the reason this member took us out on this night, and was late.) Know, we are praying for him a lot. He said his wife is still skeptical and doesn’t want to invite us over yet, but he is working on her.
God is preparing the hearts of the children of men. I love this stuff.

Friday we had Zone Conference. It was awesome. It was at the weatherford stake center, which is about 70 miles from our apartment, so we had a 150 mile day (yes, I can do math, we drove around Denton and Krum after it was over). Luckily we had been preparing for it all month so it didn't hurt our mileage. And the sisters in one of the wards out here had a member offer to drive some down in her 15 passenger van. Score. We only had 3 out of like 7 cars drive down that could have, so it really saved us a lot of miles. At ZC we learned about Zion, about what Zion means, and how to be a zion society. Zion is a reference to places (city of Enoch, New Jerusalem, etc.), a way of life (4 Nephi) and sometimes groups of people. We talked about what it takes to achieve that. We talked about how to build a Zion companionship, a Zion District, a Zion Zone, and a Zion Mission. The characteristics of Zion are mostly the Christ like attributes. We need to develop those. It is all so simple that the world doesn't comprehend it.
One big thing I noticed is that After Christ appeared in the Americas, it was a Zion society, because all of those people had a perfect knowledge of the savior. They saw him, felt the wounds, and were healed by him. They KNEW. As the generations passed, it went from a first hand experience to a second hand, and so forth. The knowledge became faith again, and as we know about apostasy, faith eventually becomes weak. So in order for us to achieve Zion, we need to have a perfect knowledge. In order to do that, we need to do what Alma talks about in Alma 32, and experiment to find truth and apply it. Then it becomes a perfect knowledge.  
That was pretty much the highlights of the week, and the things I learned, all wrapped up in one big metaphorical burrito of truth and righteousness.
I love you all! Thanks for your prayers, you're in mine too!
-- --Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment