Monday, February 20, 2012

Whoa I'm half-way there, WHOOAAA LIVIN' ON A PRAYER!!!‏

Yesterday I looked at a calander and counted weeks, and I had been in Texas for 53 sundays. Then I counted forward, and I have 53 Sundays left in texas. Crazy Sauce! This Wednesday is my year mark and it has been the fastest year of my life. Seriously this has flown by.

I have learned a ton on my mission so far. To sum up the biggest things I have learned:
There is no reason to be angry. Ever. Just get over it and move forward.
There is no reason to be upset about something you can't control.
There is something you can learn from everyone you meet.

Obviously I have learned more than this, but these are some of the biggest things I have grown to understand more than just know. Personal experience has made these ideas a part of me. I am excited to see what there is to learn in the future.

Well, week 1 of the transfer is over. Elder Fibke is a really good missionary. He knows how to work really hard and to be exactly obedient. He has his quirks, but everyone does. I have learned a lot from him already. It has been a good experience.

Last Saturday was my birthday, and I thought it was a little ironic that I "airboxed" on my birthday, but that's mostly because I got letters and packages all leading up to that day, so basically everyone but Jessica got it there early :P Thank you everyone for the cards and gifts. On Friday Sister Bailey and Sister Bickley found out that it was my birthday the next day so they had us meet them at the institute for lunch and they got pizza and cake. It was a fun little party. But it was interrupted when we got a call from the mission office saying that they were going to meet us at our apartment in 20 minutes to do a surprise inspection. Luckily we had cleaned it up so we were fine.
On my birthday we had an interesting day. Our teaching pool has run dry, we've dropped a lot of investigators, and got dropped by one, so we need to find. So we did finding activities all day long. AKA Tracting. The plus side was that it was pouring rain all day long. Needless to say we were soaked after talking to people at their doorsteps all day long and we didn't get a single lesson or new investigator. But it was fine, because we had the spirit. We were doing the work. We fulfilled our purpose, even with all 3 or 4 appointments we had set for the day punched. So far, it was the best birthday of my life, freezing, being soaked, getting rejected all day long, and walking a lot. It rocked. That night we had a ward chili cook-off and Texas party, it was awesome, Texans make some dang good chili. Elder Fibke told me it was my birthday party and everyone was there to celebrate it, they just didn't know it, which sounded good to me. I didn't want anyone to know it was my birthday though, so that was a plus.  
Well, I feel weird; I don't have anything to rant about this week. Someone asked us today about Magic Underwear because someone brought that up to Mitt Romney apparently, so that was funny. It's funny to me that people are willing to talk to someone they can't see every night, pay money to a guy who reads books written by people who have been dead for 2000 years to them, and claim that when they die they will be surrounded by light and clouds and happiness and stuff, but the idea of an outward expression of our inner commitment to follow the savior in the form of undergarments (as opposed to a Jesus fish or the torture method used to crucify the savior) is weird to them. Come on people, its symbolism.
Wow, this week is a really short email, but I just don't have anything else to talk about really. So... yeah....
Love ya'll!

(By the way, I have officially adopted ya'll as a natural word in my vocabulary. I decided that this morning when I re-read a text I sent earlier that I didn't realize I had said ya'll in)
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment