Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Conference

This week was a really good week, and it was all topped off with General Conference. This conference was incredible. If you didn't watch all of it, repent and watch it.
President Monson made the announcement that the minimum age for missionaries has changed, so that means if Jaden chooses to, he can leave as soon as 6 months after I get home instead of 18 months after, that's so crazy.
That was such a great start to conference, hearing the changes there. The work is going to increase dramatically, and we're going to see miracles happen. I won't get to see any 18 yr olds in my mission, but I know that when they start showing up things are going to take off.
I loved every apostle's talk. They were all things I needed to hear. Elder Anderson's was perfect for people in Texas, talking about how the Doctrine is taught by all 15 apostles, and the principles are found openly, not in some obscure paragraph somewhere. In other words, 98% of anti-mormon material needs to just be forgotten, because it is just nonsense. the other 2%, comes from people not understanding basic truths of the Gospel, and they just believe differently (and wrongly, by the way. I will be that bold to say.) In my studies I have been reading the New Testament again, I came across this the other day
  
37 ¶Now when they heard this, they were apricked in their bheart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men andbrethren, cwhat shall we do?
 38 Then Peter asaid unto them, bRepent, and be cbaptized every one of you in the dname of Jesus Christ for the eremission of sins, and ye shall receive the fgift of the gHoly Ghost.
 39 For the apromise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are bafar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying,aSave yourselves from this buntoward generation.
 41 ¶Then they that gladly areceived his bword were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about cthree thousand souls.
 42 And they continued astedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine andbfellowship, and in breaking of cbread, and in prayers.
These men who were baptized received a spiritual witness that Peter's testimony of the Atonement was true. They knew that he was a true apostle of Jesus Christ, and they accepted the fulness of the gospel. Now look again at verse 42. "they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine." Because they know they are apostles, they know that their doctrine is the doctrine of Christ. In the same way, once you gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, you know that these living apostle's today, and their predecessors back to and including Joseph Smith, are apostles, and you know theat their doctrine is the true doctrine of the Father.
 Back to General Conference, Elder Russell M Nelson gave one of my favorite talks. He explained that if you have any question concerning life, eternity, God, Christ, the gospel, the atonement, or if you need help spiritually, physically, or want help knowing more about family history, or a multitude of different things, "ask the missionaries. They can help." 
But by far my favorite talk, the one that totally pumped me up was Jeffrey R. Holland. He has always been my favorite, and this conference he did it again. His talk was first talked about when Peter and some of the other apostles went fishing after Christ's Resurrection. He talks about how Christ taught Peter that the commission was eternal, not just while Christ was here. And how there needed to be a change.
This makes me think about my mission. Is there a change in my nature? When I go home will I be the same person I was when I left? Will I have the same immature desires and habits? Or will I do as Paul says in 1 Corinthians "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." I need to change my nature. I need to go home and be something I wasn't before. Not just act differently, but Be different. Anyone who goes on a mission and goes home without changing their nature has wasted the Lord's time and their own. So I need to be able to say I have not wasted my time, or the Lord's. I feel like I can say that, but I am in the "endure to the end" phase.  Of course the Atonement is there for those who did not change, they still can. But I don't want to need to figure out how to change once I have the world's distractions again. We all need to be constantly growing, changing, repenting, and becoming more and more Christlike.
That's why I love Elder Holland's talks, because he pumps me up to change.
  
I love y'all! Have a great week!
----Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment