Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lord I'm Grateful for my life‏


This week was Thanksgiving. Obviously. It was very interesting for me to not be at grandma's house (either one) eating with all the family and seeing all the cousins and just having a good time. It was weird to not do the regular traditions, like going to a movie that morning, then going to grandmas and eating way too much. I still did the eating way too much, but it wasn't at grandma's, so it just wasn't the same :)

We had thanksgiving with three families in the ward. It's pretty normal for that to occur, multiple dinner appointments on Thanksgiving and family hopping, but ours wasn't multiple appointments, it was one. Three families in the ward had it combined and invited us. It was awesome. One of the families has 6 kids, another with 7, and another with 3, but all three have slight mental disabilities. So it was crazy having all those kids in one living room. We had a great thanksgiving dinner, with all the regular thanksgiving things except no dessert. We had dessert later at the church, where more families (including those three) went to the chapel and played games and had pie and stuff. It was great. Thank we visited one of my favorite families in the ward, They have 5 kids that love the missionaries. And This family is the one that is letting me borrow a guitar. So I took it with me over there and we played around a little bit. He made a dark chocolate cream pie. With some kick. He had a couple of different kinds of pepper in it, like cayenne and a couple others. It was really good. It is an interesting sensation to eat dark chocolate that is spicy. I think Russell would have liked it.

Anyway, the next two days we did not have anyone signed up to feed us, but there were two different families that offered to give us some leftovers, so we still ate well. We had Cornbread stuffing. Apparently in the South that's the way to do it. It was good, but I still prefer regular stuffing.

So that was my thanksgiving. I am grateful that being in America, I got to enjoy that.

So, cool story for the day.

There is a guy from this ward, Jon Beesley. He was a Bishop, he was a stake president, and now he is a mission president in the Alaska Anchorage mission. President Beesley is an amazing man. Everyone in the fort worth stake knows who he is. He used to work for Lockheed Martin, a defence contractor company, (I guess it's kinda like L3? Cory will have to clarify for me if that is true) Anyway, he was the number one test pilot for Lockheed. He was one of the first people to fly an F-16, F-35, F-22, and the Stealth Fighter. Actually, the 35 and 22 he was the first person. And he named the F-22, the Raptor. Actually, his son did. One day he came home from work and told his son that the new fighter jet they were working on needed a name. His son asked him what it could do. well, being the confidential information it was, he told him that it basically kills anything alive on the ground. SO his son said. "Call it the Raptor". and they did. Cool huh. But I did not get to meet this man, because, like I said, He is in Alaska. Originally he was assigned to go to Russia, but when the Russian Government found out his credentials they basically said "Heck no." They thought he was really CIA undercover. What a joke.

Anyway, there's my cool story about someone from the "Bounding Metropolis of Burleson Texas" (As someone once sarcastically referred to it as)

Well, our baptismal date, I referred to him before as Elvis, has to be moved back because he couldn't make it to church and investigators need to come to church a few times before their baptism. But that's ok, we will still get him baptized this month. He has been reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it, which is exciting for a missionary to see. There's nothing like the Book of Mormon. It is wonderful.

Our District is pretty awesome. The new missionary's name is Elder Fowers, he is from Cache Valley. I told him I am an Aggie and he told me all his friends go there, but he goes to BYU. My response was an obvious "Ah... one of "Those"". he laughed and said Yup.

I get to give my first district meeting tomorrow. That'll be weird. Then I get to go on my first exchange with a Zone Leader as a District Leader right after that. So I will get to learn a ton tomorrow. Honestly, I will probably learn more from preparing and teaching a District Meeting than the members of my district will. At least that is what I am told.

The other day I had the most interesting dodge from a door contact yet.

*Dingdong*

Hello, we are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints, out talking about Jesus Christ today.

Oh, that's ok, we're Mormons.

... Well, that's the church we're from!

Umm.... That's ok, we have a church

*Door closes*

Elder, did that just happen?

yeah....

I thought it was hilarious. My thought is this, She thought we were JWs, and most JWs will not even bother with Mormons (outside of Utah) if you tell them you are because they know how stubborn we are when it comes to religion. So she tried to dodge us, and it failed. funny stuff huh.

Well, I do not know what else to talk about... so... I love you all

Check out the song "Lord I'm Grateful" By Paul Cardall. It rocks.

New mormon.org profile!


love ya!

--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment