Monday, December 5, 2011

Both ends of the spectrum‏


This week has been one of the absolute best weeks of my mission, and one of the worst.

This week was one of the best because we taught several lessons to investigators in a member's home. This is actually really significant because the baptismal and retention rates are hugely significant when they are taught in this situation. And then, all four of the investigators who we taught were at sacrament meeting. And one of them has a baptismal date for December 17th! That's the one I have been refferring to ya'll as Elvis. It was a great week in teaching and talking to people. Plus, the weather has completely changed. I have not seen the sun for a week now. It has been overcast and rainy the whole time. Yesterday it was raining literally all day long. it was wonderful. The only problem is now it is cold, and we are basically wanting to wear our suits everywhere, which is hard since they need to be dry cleaned which isn't the most inexpensive thing in the world. Thank goodness for overcoats. On Saturday we walked 6 miles in the rain. It came in waves, sometimes the rain stopped for a few minutes, other times we had to stop talking because we couldn't hear each other. crazy huh. Several people offered us rides, but we can't talk to people if we are in a car, so we just kept walking. That is when I found out that my overcoat is not water proof, just very water resistant. It rocked.

That's what made this week so great. It may not seem like much to you, but it is huge for us. Getting people to sacrament meeting is the best thing to do to help them progress and feel the spirit. I love church.

Plus it was fast Sunday yesterday, and I had a great fast. It was one of those little things that just helps, you know? And the testimonies shared in sacrament meeting were great.

Now I guess I'll go to the "one of the worst"

Sunday evening I got a phone call from President Sagers, informing me that Jim Hefner had passed away. It was a bit of a blow, because I didn't see it coming at all. I had hoped he would beat the cancer and come out on top. But the Lord's hand is in all things. President Sagers told me that being in the field was the best thing I could do right now to help his family, and I know that is true.

This is the second time I have had a phone call like this on my mission. It is such a weird sensation to be told "Elder, Your stake president just called me. ________ has passed away." To think to yourself, that person I knew and loved is no longer in the physical realm of this earth. They are not here anymore. They've gone on. They won't be there to tell you welcome home in a little over a year. and you didn't get to say goodbye. But that's the miracle of the plan of salvation. It's not meant to be a goodbye, it's more of a "see you later." In the eternal scheme of things it's really a "see you soon." God is in control and knows us all perfectly. Jim is no longer in pain. He's not bound by his mortal body. He is in a better place. I love you Jim, and I'll see you soon.


--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment