Monday, April 9, 2012

Somewhere over the rainbow

This was quite an exciting week. On Tuesday we had a Zone Meeting, where Elder Fa and I trained on Finding people to teach, and Revelation through Church Attendance. Right before the meeting started, I saw Sister Sagers walk in, which meant President Sagers was not far behind. Sure enough, he walked in next. It is always a little stressful to have President Sagers show up to a meeting that you are conducting and training in, but it was good to have him there. We asked him if he would like to take some time, and he said he would at the end. But throughout the training it was great to have his comments, especially because the priesthood keys he holds makes it so he speaks with more power and authority than one can try without them. After the meeting was over we went to eat lunch as a zone at a pizza buffet. While we were there the TVs all went black and a tornado warning came up for Tarrant County, which is where Burleson is. We didn't think much of it and went on with the day. We knew that there were thunderstorms and possible hail that day, but we hadn't heard or expected anything worse than that. But worse came.

We took some elders back to their Apartments after lunch, and on the way back it started raining pretty hard. we got back at around 2:30, and then got a missed call from President, but it was for 2:09. So I tried to call him back, and the phone wouldn't work. We tried again and again to call him, and other people, and to text, and do anything, but the phone wouldn't work, regardless of having full bars. The rain was pounding now, and we decided to go to the institute, less than a mile away, where we could use students' phones and the clerk's office phone. Then the sirens started. Until this point, I had never heard the tornado sirens, but when you hear them, you know what they are. If you have seen war movies, they are just like bomb sirens. So we got to the institute, and when we got there, Brother Ritchie, the institute director, had his phone on the weather channel playing info about tornadoes in Dallas. Finally President got through to me on the phone. we had both been trying to get in touch with each other for over an hour. I was to get in contact with all of the District Leaders and have them contact the members of their district, and then get back to me to get back to President to make sure everyone was ok. One problem, the storm knocked out Sprint, so the phones only worked occasionally. I was able to get a hold of the DLs, and the four of us (me and 3 DLs) tried to get a hold of everyone. Luckily the singles ward sisters came to the institute, so they were accounted for, and the Spanish bike elders showed up eventually to get out of the rain. so now we had 2 extra phones trying to get through to people. We finally got in contact with everyone and then I got back to president. from what I understand none of the missionaries in our mission were injured. I'm not sure about Dallas though.

When all was said and done, 19 tornadoes touched down on Tuesday in the metropolis (the dallas-fortworth area, including from Arlington up to denton). One of those tornadoes was in Denton Country, hence the sirens, which only go off if there is an imminent threat. It was a crazy day. There was hail the size of baseballs in Lewisville, thunderstorms everywhere, and of course, the tornadoes.

That was easily the biggest event of the week. The rest of the week was filled with tracting, contacting, talking with people, finding, and some teaching. We got a referral for one lady, who I will call Mary for the time being. Mary does not affiliate herself with a church because she feels like there are empty traditions in a lot of churches and that a lot of the people are fake and two-faced. But she also told us that she has been to the LDS church a couple times and she doesn't feel that way at all. We taught her the first lesson and gave her a Book of Mormon, and a Bible. It was really cool. We'll be meeting with her again tomorrow.

this morning before studies Elder Fa started listening to "Safety for the Soul" by Jeffrey R. Holland on my zone. So we listened to it all the way through, and the spirit testified to me again the truth of this message. I want to share a small portion with you. Please take the time to read it.

"May I refer to a modern “last days” testimony? When Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum started for Carthage to face what they knew would be an imminent martyrdom, Hyrum read these words to comfort the heart of his brother: “Thou hast been faithful; wherefore … thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father. “And now I, Moroni, bid farewell … until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ.” A few short verses from the 12th chapter of Ether in the Book of Mormon. Later, when actually incarcerated in the jail, Joseph the Prophet turned to the guards who held him captive and bore a powerful testimony of the divine authenticity of the Book of Mormon. 8 Shortly thereafter pistol and ball would take the lives of these two testators. As one of a thousand elements of my own testimony of the divinity of the Book of Mormon, I submit this as yet one more evidence of its truthfulness. In this their greatest—and last—hour of need, I ask you: would these men blaspheme before God by continuing to fix their lives, their honor, and their own search for eternal salvation on a book (and by implication a church and a ministry) they had fictitiously created out of whole cloth? Never mind that their wives are about to be widows and their children fatherless. Never mind that their little band of followers will yet be “houseless, friendless and homeless” and that their children will leave footprints of blood across frozen rivers and an untamed prairie floor. 9 Never mind that legions will die and other legions live declaring in the four quarters of this earth that they know the Book of Mormon and the Church which espouses it to be true. Disregard all of that, and tell me whether in this hour of death these two men would enter the presence of their Eternal Judge quoting from and finding solace in a book which, if not the very word of God, would brand them as imposters and charlatans until the end of time? They would not do that! They were willing to die rather than deny the divine origin and the eternal truthfulness of the Book of Mormon." - Jeffrey R. Holland


I want to add my testimony, that I know this work is true. I know that the priesthood of God has been restored to the earth. I know that God has called a prophet to the earth again, and that we are recieving guidance from our Father in Heaven through that prophet, and through Christ's apostles. I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that we can have eternal life through his sacrifice, through our obedience to his commandments, and through God's love for us. I know that we cannot save ourselves, that we cannot do anything to be saved, that it is through Christ's grace and mercy that we are saved. But I also know that Grace is not an e-z pass get out of jail free card when we accept Christ. I know that through following his teachings and commandments our salvation is given to us. I know that "through his stripes we are healed."

Like Elder Holland stated, "I want it absolutely clear when I stand before the judgment bar of God that I declared to the world, in the most straightforward language I could summon, that the Book of Mormon is true, that it came forth the way Joseph said it came forth and was given to bring happiness and hope to the faithful in the travail of the latter days."

--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment