Monday, April 16, 2012

Wait.. Elder... where's the truck?‏

This week was so crazy and busy and constantly doing something that it flew. I can't believe it's already p-day again. I read the email from my mom talking about how My dad has been released from the hospital and she is describing last week to me, and I forget how long it has been since this all started. The days weren't adding up in my mind correctly at first because it seemed like he was barely going into surgery, but it has been a week and a half since the surgery already. Time just flies when you're busy.
On Tuesday after district meeting and lunch, Elder Fa and I went to a recent convert’s house to do some service. She is a care taker for a man with Cerebral Palsy, and he has a bunch of little dogs. He wanted a way to be able to let them out on his own, and for her to be able to let them out without needing to tie them all up, so we built a kennel out of Goat fence and some big stakes. It took about 2 1/2 hours, but it was a lot of fun, and good hard work. I have never put up any kind of fence before, but it was cool. We used baling wire to hold it to the stakes and the deck. It was a perfect day to do it too, it was like 80 degrees, and I got just a little sun burnt, which has since then become a bit of a tan. We had a good time.
That night we were supposed to teach Mary again, but she was busy and pushed it back to Tuesday. 
On Wednesday we had interviews with President Sagers. I had  a really good interview, we talked about being consecrated and how the zone is doing. While President is interviewing other missionaries the APs give training. They trained on the Area Book (a big binder we have that has teaching records, potential investigators, and other various forms with useful information to keep us organized, and to let future missionaries know what is going on in the area). The training was really good. After all the interviews were over, we did an exchange with the APs. Like Last transfer, Elder Roberts stayed in Denton with me. It was a lot of fun to work with him again. Elder Fa got to go down to work in "Tonga" (the APs work in the Euless 3rd ward, which is a tongan ward).
On Thursday we had an interesting morning. We parked the truck, started knocking doors, and had a great conversation with a lady. After talking with her for about 20 minutes I looked over towards the truck, and to my horror, it was gone. It had only been about a half hour since we parked it, we were in sight and earshot of the parking spot, and the truck was just gone. We never saw a tow truck or anything. It just disappeared. We quickly finished the contact, and then went to the parking lot where we had parked it. 3 separate parking lots from the one we parked in, but still in the same complex, had "permit parking only" signs, but this one didn't so we thought it was safe. Apparently not. I called the number and sure enough, our silver Colorado was sitting in their lot now. The rest of the afternoon, from 1 til about 4:30, was spent calling people, talking, trying to explain out situation, trying to get some kind of help, and nothing. After I had done all I could the vehicle coordinator for the mission said "I guess you'll just have to pay it." But we got the truck back that day, which is good because the next day it would go up another 70 dollars. What a joke. Fortunately for me, but not for elder Roberts, the policy is we are both responsible even though I was the driver, so we split the bill. I am trying to look at it positively and learn from the experience, and besides, I haven't put hardly any money into bike stuff, whereas most missionaries here spend $400 minimum on bike stuff, so this is not so bad. And I have the cash to pay for my half, so I'm set. I learned about the Atonement through all this though. I did everything I could to redeem myself before paying the price, and there was nothing I could do.

 No matter what I did, I could not be saved from paying the fine after the truck got towed. So what if sin was the same way? What if there was nobody to help get me out of the spiritual dangers that I face in my life? What if I had to pay the price? I couldn't. it wouldn't be done, and I would suffer damnation for eternity. But God is eternally merciful, and so unlike the fine with the truck being towed, I do have a mediator when it comes to sin. I don't have to feel stressed and lost and panicked, because I know my Redeemer, I know how to partake of his mercy, and I know how to access the Atonement fully. Maybe that is what I was supposed to learn from this. And maybe there were people we met that day among all the chaos that I would not have met if we weren't in that situation. or maybe I just needed to learn to be more careful. I don't know, but I have learned. Hopefully y'all can learn from my mistake too. Don't get towed. it sucks. "It's just the most expensive valet parking I have ever paid. And they didn't bring my car back." -A member in Killeen talking about being towed (wow that was a year ago) 
But guess what, That night, after we got the Truck back, was awesome. We taught the first half of the Plan of Salvation to Mary, and set a baptismal date for April 28th! She is so solid.
Friday was great, we went on exchange with some Spanish elders, and I was in the Spanish area, so I got to see a brand new missionary thrown into the refiner’s fire and not have anyone to back him up. He learned a lot. It was funny at a couple doors though. At one he had been talking about prophets, (I can follow a long a little bit) and how we have a prophet like mosses. But the lady wasn't getting it. But I noticed something; I could understand her, because she was speaking English. So I jumped in and talked about Peter, James and John, and how we have apostles today too. She wanted to learn more and set up an appointment for Saturday. That was the only door I really got to do anything at. It actually kind of bites not getting to participate. At one door this JW was just blabbing off at Elder Espino and he wasn't getting to say anything. I could tell he was frustrated and didn’t know how to end it. I finally cut her off and said "do you speak English?" "No" then she just kept going on and on. After a little bit she started holding up three fingers, than one, than three, than one, and I could tell she was talking about the trinity. The spirit wasn’t there; it seemed like a waste of time, and Elder Espino just looked bored. Finally she asked him a question, basically "So do you see how they are three in one?" and he testified (in Spanish, but I got the jist of it) "No. They are three distinct beings" he said it with a boldness and confidence that I had not seen him use before, and the spirit testified strongly. But she blew it off and went onto something else and finally he said "Sorry, we have to go" and we walked away. I got a kick out of it, and he learned a lot about opposition and not having someone there to back him up. 
Saturday was pretty good, just a lot of contacting and trying to find people.
Mary came to church on Sunday! It was awesome. The talks in sacrament were perfect too, and there was an awesome musical number. The RS president invited her to stay for all three hours so she could come to RS, which was great for her to get an invite from a member and not just us. She really liked it. That night we taught her the rest of Lesson 2, and the Word of Wisdom. It was scary when we pulled out the WoW pamphlet, because last time we were there she was smoking, and this time she had a sweet tea in her hand. She laughed when we used the words "Law of Health" and said something about "Oh, you saw me smoking last time so you decided to bring this up? Well I need to quit so that's ok" than she opened it and laughed harder "Ha, and now I'm drinking tea in front of you." But she said she'll pray about it and test it out to see if she gets the blessings. I am excited for her.
Well, that's my week. I don't really have anything to rant about this week, so I guess y'all are off the hook this time ;)
I'll be sure to have a good subject next week. Maybe the trinity/godhead or something like that.
Christ Lives! He speaks to a prophet today!   

--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment