Monday, April 23, 2012

• This work is gonna fix what don't work anymore‏

This week has been a lot of work. It has flown by extremely fast. Today is my 14 month mark, not that I am counting. Honestly though, I am not. We had companion study this morning at the church with a DL and the Sisters in his district. One of them, Sister Watts, entered the MTC the same day I did, and she pointed out that today is 14 months. And I can’t help the automatic calculation in my mind that says "that means 10 more months." which is actually a scary thought.
Anyway, back to what has happened this week. We did exchanges with Elder Johnson and Elder Thompson, who both went to Davis High School (Elder Thompson is a year older and I did not know him at school, but we know a lot of the same people). Elder THompson and I worked in my ward while Elder Fa went with Elder Johnson over there. We did a lot of tracting, a lot of driving, and actually quite a bit of teaching. We taught a new guy, I will call him Bob. Bob was not extremely interested, but a little curious. He is older and has been through a lot. He used to do drugs and is a "recovering alcoholic." He hasn't done either of those things since the 80s, so that is always a plus for teaching people. Anyway, we taught the first lesson and it went well, but he wasn't extremely interested. But then at the end as we were walking out the door our exchange, another older guy, turned and bore testimony of the gospel. He told him that he used to drink and live what he thought was a good life, but once he found the gospel he realized that he had been missing out on so much. He bore testimony of the atonement and the power it has. It was awesome. You could see Bob's attitude change and he is quite a bit more interested now.
I told you last week about Mary. She does not feel ready for baptism yet and has a lot going on in her life, so she asked us to move her baptism back a couple weeks. Which is a little disappointing, but it's ok. We are going to be working very closely with her to help her continue to progress.
Saturday was a weird but awesome day. We had 2 baptisms in the zone, one for the YSA ward and one in Elder Johnson's ward. Both asked me to play piano at the baptism, which was fine by me, but we needed investigators there in order to attend. So invited people to both and were expecting them to show up. Well they all bailed on us. Both for the morning one and the one in the evening. But it was alright, it was still good to be there to support the members of our zone. For the first baptism, the YSA one, she chose the hymns for her baptism. She chose "God is Love" and  "Be Still My Soul." Unfortunately, I had never heard God is Love before, (neither had she, she just chose two that looked like they were good) so I got to quickly learn it. But I was able to, which is really cool for me. Back home I never liked playing hymns, and I wasn't very good at them. The only way I could do it was if I had to for church and I practiced a lot for it. But now I like playing them and I am finding it easier and easier to play them, even though I hardly ever get to sit down and really play. It's a testimony to me that God helps our talents grow when we are doing his work.
We have met a lot of opposition lately. And something finally clicked in my mind, where I just don't sugar coat things anymore. As you all know, I have been really bold in my emails, saying things that I wish I could say to people out here but don't because either a) I am n afraid to be that bold or b) it is too bold (aka overbearing) and creates contention. But I have gotten past option "a". I have hit the point where I don't care who it is I am talking to, if they say something stupid about beliefs, I will correct it. If they have a concern, I correct it. If they have some bit of anti or something they heard, I explain it and continue on. It has been really cool for me to see the affect it has on people, because people here fit into 2 categories. They either really know what they are talking about, or they really don't. So this boldness weeds out the non-elect (the elect being those who will hear the word, feel the spirit, and accept the gospel) from both groups quickly. And there are elect people in both groups.
It may come across that I am being this bold to try to prove a point or to single people out or something, both in my proselyting, as well as in my ranting in my emails. But the real reason is that this is just too important to not be bold and call out faults. This is too significant to just turn a blind eye to friends, families, and neighbors who are missing out on blessings that they are both entitled to and capable of receiving. Like before I am going to say things I wish I could say to several people I have met out here, but I refrain from doing so, but I will say it to all of you. There was a talk given by Dallin H. Oaks a couple years ago about  "Good, Better, and Best". I am going to be bold. It is good to go to church. It is good to read your scriptures and have a bible study. It is good to work hard, be successful, and love your family. But if you are not making and keeping temple covenants, you will not receive the best blessings of an eternal family. You will not receive all of the blessings God has for you in this life. those blessings are only found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, because this is where God's priesthood is. Those who turn their backs on these covenants and do not repent will not experience the joy that God experiences. They will not be with their families forever, and they will not have eternal joy. And if you are not happy forever, than what are you? I'll leave that for you to figure out. But this is why I am here. To help God in his work and his glory, bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of all of his children. I am doing all I can to help the people of Texas experience that, and I am hoping that maybe these words will affect someone reading them. I hope with all my heart that people will humble themselves and come back to the fold. I am being bold, but that is because I know, not think, not believe, but I know, through many powerful and sacred experiences that this church is true. No earthly power can take this knowledge away from me, and nothing will even shake it. And because of that, I will be bold with everyone I meet. Because I love you all. Because it makes me sick to think someone could walk away from this. And on the flip side, it almost makes me laugh, that someone could turn away from blessings based on "something some guy said that his brother heard Joseph smith did one time", or "That person offended me and my family at church, so we aren't going there anymore," or "I lost my testimony." Guess what, all of these are pathetic excuses that mock God and mock his authority. God will not be mocked. It takes work to get to heaven. Sorry mainstream Christianity, but grace is not an easy pass to heaven. It never was and it never will be. if you think it is, you obviously don't read the bible very carefully. It takes work to follow Christ. It takes work to try to "be perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect."
So let's do some work.
--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment