Monday, May 21, 2012

But to us he gives the keeping of the lights along the shore

It was interesting these last couple days as I have though about things that have been going on I thought about what to make my subject line. I decided a couple days ago that a line from Hymn 335 Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy would be appropriate. And then it was interesting to see another line from the same song as Elder Nielsen's subject line. Apparently we are on similar wavelengths this week.
This week has been... I don't know what adjective to use. It has been wonderful. Back in the day (as far back as last week) I would have said "It has been freaking sweet," but due to events, that's not how I want to say it anymore. So let me tell you why.
Last Tuesday we had Leadership Training. It was a big Leadership training, everyone in a leadership position in the entire mission except for Killeen and Waco were there together. (They are far enough away that they had their own the next day). It was a very inspired and powerful meeting. We talked about a lot of really good subjects, things from effective nightly and weekly planning, to personal and companion studies, to contacting. One of the things President Sagers talked about with contacting was language. He told us there are three categories of language that we are not to use. 1) Inappropriate language i.e. fetch, frick, freaking, etc. 2) not-missionary-like language i.e. crap, dude, stud, awesome (can be used correctly though in the context of something being awe inspiring) and 3) repetitive language i.e. um, like, I guess, uh, etc. Since then we have been putting forth an extra effort to use what Elder Baxter called last October when he visited, Celestial Language. It is rough, but we are working on it. It definitely makes a difference.
Another thing we talked about was cleanliness. Now, I'm not a filthy guy, but I have a hard time keeping things neat and tidy, especially my desk. But I know exactly where everything is. But after that training, I had a desire to be cleaner. So I cleaned the apartment, and tidied up, put stuff away that I never use, stashed extra blankets and pillows that aren't being used away, things like that. Our apartment is much cleaner now.
I also got a lot out of it for leading, for helping others to follow examples, and to correct others in a more effective way. A big part of that came from the way I felt corrected by the spirit. I feel more the weight of being a leader, of setting an example, of being the kind of leader my Father in Heaven wants me to be. It's not a burdensome weight, it's not a struggle, but it's something that reminds me of the importance of what I am doing. I have been given "the keeping of the lights along the shore." so that I may rescue and save "some poor fainting, struggling seaman." whether that be member, non-member, or missionary. And I love the stewardship, because it keeps me accountable, and I want to do well not only for myself, but to help others.
Another thing that made this past week so great was an exchange on Friday. This was unlike any other exchange I have been on. I got to go to "tonga". Aka, the Euless 3rd Ward where the APs work. Elder Fa came back to Denton to work with Elder Phister, which was good since Elder Fa knows our area better than Elder Phister at the moment, and I got to go to Euless with Elder Bone. We had to do some errand running, which is a lot of the APs do, but we got to teach and proselyte too. My favorite part of it was probably spending one on one time with Elder Bone though. I don't know him well, so it was good to get to get to know him better. We had some really good conversation about our missions, about spiritual experiences, things we have learned, and other such topics. That night when we went in to plan the next day I saw a piece of paper on Elder Bone's desk which he had entitled something along the lines of "Being perfected." He had written things he needed to change in his own attitude and life in order to be a more obedient missionary and a better example. The things that stuck out to me was that the day before I had been prompted to do the same thing, mine was "Being Consecrated," and our lists were practically identical. That made me feel a little better about where I am in my progression spiritually.
Then on Sunday we had Stake Conference. Elder Bruce D Porter of the 70 spoke. I learned a lot from that too. He talked about having an attitude of gratitude, and a brother from his high school that was nicknamed Mr. Optimism. So I try to smile more now, and be more grateful. I would advise y'all to do the same.
And now here I am today. This morning I finished planning out a training I will be giving to Denton and Weatherford Zones at our zone conference on Thursday. It is going to be on How the Book of Mormon builds faith in Missionary Work. I am going to talk about a several things, but I will end it with talking about Lehi's dream, how the Book of Mormon is the Rod of Iron, and we need to use it to get through the mists of darkness we face in order to receive the blessings of the Atonement (the tree of life). I would suggest y'all go back and read 1 Nephi 11 and see how you can apply it to your life.

I love you all. I know this church is Christ's church. I know that he leads it today through his Prophet. I know that He lives. I know that our Father in Heaven has provided a plan for us, with the Atonement of Christ at the center. I invite you to take the necessary steps to follow that plan and partake of the atonement. If you don't know what those steps are, 2 Nephi 31-33 will tell you.
I love you all!

--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment