Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Week 3‏


His week was great. We had an awesome Zone Conference last Thursday where President Sagers taught us a lot. We covered a lot of things and I don't have my study journal so I can't remember it all. But one thing I do remember is that we talked about the Natural Man.

Ok, random change of subject. I don't remember if I told you about an experience back when I was with Elder Fibke. We were on exchanges and I was with Elder Roberts (this was the first time I was with him, not the 2nd time when we lost the truck). He and I were knocking a street and there was a guy mowing his lawn, we offered to help him and he declined, and also told us that he lived in Utah for 14 years growing up and they couldn't convert him there so we won't convert him here. We just laughed and kept going. Once we finished the street we were headed back up and he had stopped mowing because his knee hurt. He said to us "I wish I had taken you up on that offer." So I ran up and took the lawn mower and Elder Roberts talked to him while I finished the lawn. Then we talked for a little while longer and then left. The big impact was the fact that he now had a different view of "Mormons" than he had before.
So a couple weeks later Elder Fibke and I went over and talked to him, we invited him again to learn and he again declined, but he was happy to see us.
Another time this past transfer I went there with Elder Lancaster and talked to him for a  minute, but he was busy.
Two weeks ago Elder Phister and I went over and he invited us in and we had a really good talk about religion and were having really good progress in the discussion when something came up that he had to leave quickly, so we were cut short.
Just now, as I was sitting here typing, I saw someone walk past and I looked up and there he was, looking right over my head at a book shelf. We made eye contact and he sat down and talked with me for a couple minutes. He is a really good guy, and I really want to start teaching him, but there's something blocking it and I just can't figure it out. Before I leave here my goal is to get a personalized Book of Mormon to him and invite him again to read it. I am not sure how it will go, but I have a goal in mind and I am going to reach it.

Ok, so back to Zone Conference. President talked about the Natural Man, who he is, why he is an enemy to God, and how we can overcome him. It was a really good training that spoke perfectly to everyone listening, because no matter what our situation was spiritually, we learned how we can improve. There was a quote, I don't know who by, and I will paraphrase, but basically it said the only way to beat the natural man is to suffocate him. We do that by eliminating the things that cause us to sin. Media, thoughts, behaviors, etc. As we eliminate the "mists of darkness" around us, the natural man is snuffed out.
Random cool thing that happened too. At each zone conference one of the wards in the area provides the lunch. This time they set up a bunch of Texas decorations and stuff, and even had a rodeo rope out. During lunch Sister Sagers picked it up and started spinning it (in case you didn't know, both President and Sister Sagers were professional rodeoers (if that is a word)) anyway, she told Elder Fa to start running, and then she roped his ankle and basically would have owned him if she had just given it a little pull. But she didn't. he still almost fell anyway, but it was able to stay up. It was cool. Then President came over and started spinning it and roped someone else. It was hilarious. (and no I don't have video of it because President reminded everyone that the call packet says not to use the video feature on cameras, which was a very widespread forgotten thing, so I won't be sending any more videos home. But that doesn't mean my parents should delete the ones I have either, I want to see those when I get back) Anyway, it was fun.

That's about all I can remember from last week, it flew by and I left my planner in my suit coat in the car so I can't look at it to tell you anything else.

We have started doing an activity found on pg 114 of Preach My Gospel under the Mission President section. It is a great activity that I would suggest everyone takes a look at and does. It will increase your testimony of the Book of Mormon. And if you don't have a testimony of the Book of Mormon, or if it has gone dormant, then you definitely need to do it. If you don't at least read the Book of Mormon (again if you have before, and regardless of whether you do the activity), you are cheating yourself out of blessings your Father in Heaven has for you. And now you won't be able to come up to me and ask 'Why didn't you tell me?" because I just did. Read it.

Anyway, what I was originally getting to with that before I called some people out, is that this activity is awesome. I actually did it already about a year ago on my own, but now that we're doing it as a mission I have gotten another clean copy of the Book of Mormon and I am starting over. I have seen things that I have never noticed before, and I am learning a lot. It's incredible to see the blessings that come to me by simply studying the Book of Mormon. I love it.

I have decided that I love logic. I always have, but since being here, I love it even more. First of all because logic proves there is a God. There is no way evolution could possibly make any sense, and there is no way we came from a random big bang in the universe. I don't know how it all happened exactly, but I know it wasn't random and chaotic. Next, once you have seen there is a God, the next step would be to see that logically there is a Christ, a Messiah, a Savior. Once you look at all the different Christian religions, logically the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has to be the true one. why? well number one reason is authority. there are a series of ordinations and callings all throughout the Bible, both the Old Testament and the New. So there has to be authority from God. Well, where is most of mainstream Christianity's claim to authority? Knowledge, schooling, or self-proclaimed. Much like the scribes and Pharisees in the New Testament. They were lawyers, government officials, and religious leaders. But where was their authority? If you believe in the Bible, you believe when Mark tells us that they had none, by telling us about Christ's "Mark 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes." So we can eliminate every Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, Lutheran, non-denominational, and any other Christian church except two, The Catholic church and the LDS church, the only two with a decent claim to authority. The catholic's claim that Peter was the first pope (show that to me in the bible...) and that it was passed down before he was killed. Well, let's look at this logically for a second, only one aspect though because I am basically out of time. The apostles on the main land, specifically Peter, would not have ordained a new apostle without the entire council of apostles present, and even if they had, whoever the Catholics claim to be the next "pope" would not have been the senior apostle, because John was still alive, he was exiled. He was the head of the church when the rest of the apostles died (well, Christ was, but John was on the earth), and there were not any new apostles who joined him, so Cletus or linus or whoever the Catholics believe was the next senior apostle couldn't have been, because John was still alive. And, another logical look at it, they pray to saints and to mother Mary, neither of those principles are anywhere in the Bible, in fact Christ makes it clear we only pray to the Father.
So all that is left is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where a prophet was called the same way prophets in the days of old were called (numbers 12:6) and where the evidence of Christ's leadership is visible to all who take a look. There's my logical proof that the church is true.
I can't describe well in written word how I know the church is true spiritually, but I know. There is not a shadow of a doubt, because of the experiences I have had. It is true. If you don't know it is, find out. Step up. Be what the Lord wants you to be.
I love you all.

--
 
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment