Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I am sick of tow trucks

We had a really busy week this week. It was kind of hectic with transfers. Especially Wednesday morning when we found out that both our car and the D1 elder’s car were gone. So we spent all day working on getting those back from two different towing companies, and then we got to work. Then on Thursday we had a good planning session for our area and our investigators, and we had to figure out what to do for Zone Huddle (combined district meeting that we are in charge of) on Friday, and since ZMC was last week before transfers, I had to relay all the info to Elder Phister so we could figure out what to do. It was a little stressful. But we got it all done and taken care of.
On Friday after the Zone Huddle we did an exchange with one of the new district leaders, Elder Petersen. He and I worked in my area. THe FIrst thing we did was teach Mary about the Atonement, and then we tracted until dinner. After dinner we went to the institute So Elder Petersen could interview Mary for baptism, she was running late so that ended up taking the whole evening hours. We are not sure yet if we'll be having a baptism next week. I hope so. Anyway, it was a good exchange.
Saturday was a good full day of work. We visited one guy who has been less active for 40 years, and he is now coming back and he and his wife are studying the Book of Mormon together on LDS.org using the tools and notebooks and stuff on there, he showed us all the cool stuff he has been doing with it and it was awesome. It is a good resource. He told us he wants to get the priesthood and be sealed, and he will be soon. It is awesome.
Sunday was a good day. We were busy all day long. No one made it to sacrament meeting, but that is alright, because it was a weird sacrament meeting. They did a seminary graduation program and the graduating seniors spoke about seminary, and it was a little on the ""I am so grateful for _______" repeated over and over again between tears side, so it was odd. And then for a musical number in the middle they sand If You Could Hie to Kolob. Which made it even better there were no investigators there, since that goes way over everyone's head. I just tell people it's talking about hiking in the canyon in southern Utah. Ok not really, that is the joke my dad said last night on the phone. Really I tell people that it is symbolic of Christ and moving towards him through the basic steps of the gospel, being faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Since that is what it is. Symbolism. who would have thought.

Wow, there is this guy in the library on the computer next to us listening to some really heavy obnoxious screamo metal crap turned up so loud that I can hear it through his little earphones. It is funny how much I can feel a difference in the spirit with it than what I would have noticed back home.

Anyway, Sunday night was awesome; we had dinner with a family in the ward that feeds us every other week. They bought the missionaries nerf guns, so we have nerf wars while we're there, and we spar with nerf swords. It’s pretty fun. We went from there back to the apartment so Elder Phister could call home, and then we went to the Institute to do numbers and for me to call home. It was good to talk to my family again. I have a feeling I'll get home and everything will be different.

But that is ok. I just can't wait to get home and beat Jaden at everything again :)
Well, I am really tired and I can't think of anything else to really talk about, nothing to rant on today, I could find something, but I’ll save it for later.
One thing I learned at church was that maybe sacrament meeting is supposed to be a trial of our faith. That sounds harsh and backwards, but hear me out. Sometimes we hear these ridiculous talks and testimonies that just drive you crazy and don't do anything but fill the room with fluff, and that drives some people away, they feel like they didn't get anything out of it. Well that is the trial then, because the most important thing we do on Sunday is partake of the sacrament. It is that ordinance that renews our covenants and gives us a fresh start. So if we are forgetting that and complaining about not having a spiritual experience at church and don't want to go, let's take a step back and think for a minute "what did I do to prepare myself to take the sacrament today?" "What have I done to invite the spirit to be with me and to create and environment that the spirit can uplift me today?" Sacrament meeting is the most important part of the sabbath day. If we are not taking full advantage of it, we are damning ourselves to a degree. So let's take advantage of it.
--
--Elder Braxton C Foust--

No comments:

Post a Comment