Monday, August 8, 2011

Odd one out‏

This week has been interesting. It's continuing to be hot. Just hot. Only 105 + most days though, so I guess that's up to you to decide if it's hot or not. But luckily I've acclimated pretty well. And with the drought it's not as humid, so there's a bit of a silver lining.

Anyway, other weird things to make this week more interesting:

I had "Surgery" on my toes and lost about 1/4 to 1/3 of the toenail, and it hurt like heck, but now there's no pressure, and the infection is fading. I can support my weight on my toes to do push-ups again, so that's a plus. The day of my toes were wrapped up so tight that I had to wear flip flops over my dress socks for 24 hours. It was fun going to district meeting the next day in elder white's black sandals with my socks and my big toes wrapped up to twice it's normal size.

One of the elders in my MTC district was training in June, which was pretty cool. But today I found out something really weird, he is training a kid I went to high school with. Who was actually in the marching band with me. So that's crazy.

And.... Alan Nielsen is engaged!?!?!?

that's alarming.....

just kidding that's awesome, but seriously that's weird at the same time.

anyway, congrats to them.


So back to the heat. It's been hot. really really really hot. and when you ride a bike 10-20 miles a day, you feel how hot it is. (and you get an awesome farmer tan).

Thank goodness for being by an army base so I was able to get a military issue camelback bladder from one of the members. I drain that thing plenty. But the problem with it being so hot is that peoples brick houses radiate heat while you stand on the front porch, so it's more like 110+ waiting for them to answer the door, and then they don't want to listen anyway. We had a really tough week contacting people, nobody wants to slow down to listen for a minute, they are either too busy doing everything, or too busy doing nothing. either way, it's still hot outside. but I really do love it.

We don't really have a teaching pool right now. Devan is still learning consistently, but he's so busy that we're lucky to meet with him more than twice a week. and other than him, there's not really anyone that progresses at all. it's sad

On Thursday we had a dinner with an RM in the ward, Sarah. She's crazy. She's got a very outgoing happy out there personality. From talking with her, I think she was a dang good missionary. Anyway, we had dinner with her and her less-active boss and his non-member girlfriend. after dinner we had a lesson. It was sad because the boss, also an RM, said he "lost his testimony". he talked about how a couple years after his mission he started feeling like the church wasn't true anymore and although he tried, he couldn't get his testimony back. Do you know what that really means? that translates to "I got lazy and needed an excuse to stop going to church and live with me girlfriend." and/or "I got offended and used that as an excuse to lose my testimony." or any other slew of dumb excuses that a person could have. The worst part about it is that his girlfriend would be a member if he was active. she's been taught before, and sister Bludorn is way good friends with her and she told us that when they were talking this girl told her she loves the lds church and would join it. the whole time he was telling us his "un-conversion story" you could tell that his girl felt uncomfortable with it. everything he said was a contradiction, like how he told us that he doesn't believe in Christ as a person or god as our literal father, but he knows that prayer works and god listens and answers. He told us about how when he loses things he prays and finds it. So I told him to pray and find his lost testimony, which apparently struck a chord. Hopefully things will turn out.


Moral of the story: Members can make or break a conversion. So constantly work on your own testimony.

A scripture just came to mind, Alma 5:27-29 I believe. I don't have a BoM on me to look it up, so hopefully that's right.

you could also just read all of Alma 5. yes. do that.

what really makes me sad is there are people I know that this guy's situation reminds me of. People that I love, and that I know should be more solid in their testimony, and should be active in the church but for whatever reason are not. Please, for your own good, go back to church. you need it. your families need it. if out don't think I'm talking to you, or don't want to think I'm talking to you, then I probably am. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps, use the Atonement, and get your butt to church.

On a more happy note, there's this hilarious song by Randy Travis one of the missionaries out here has called "Pray for the Fish". It's a total country/Baptist song with probably no true doctrine in it, but it's funny.

I love you all, God bless

-Elder Foust

No comments:

Post a Comment